Boarding School-Bound Students
For some families, boarding school becomes an appealing option for the secondary school level. The process of choosing and applying can be daunting, given the variety of choice and range of competitiveness of schools. We are flexible in our services; from Initial Guidance consultations to comprehensive guidance (see below), depending on the needs of each family.
Dunbar's Boarding School Team
Henry Choy, Ned Bigelow, Emilie Hinman, Rick Dickson, Gloria Choy
Making a successful match between the student and school is our primary goal.
The process of applying to boarding school can begin as early as the spring of the student’s 7th or 8th grade year. In the case of Junior Boarding school, this can begin as early as 5th grade. Some families, however, choose to wait for the 10th, 11th or post-graduate year.
The comprehensive guidance provided by your Dunbar consultant includes:
- a review of the student’s academic history and extracurricular interests – along with parental expectations – which results in a list of potential schools to discuss and investigate further
- recommendations regarding appropriate admission testing
- a session with student and parents in the late summer or early fall to provide suggestions and recommendations for upcoming interviews
- advocacy for students with the admissions officers before and after school visits
- support for the completion of the application and essays once the family and consultant have determined where the student will apply.
- Best fit recommendations after acceptance.
- Curriculum review and other transition advice during first year.
Your Dunbar counselor remains available for questions and concerns throughout the process and into the final phase of choosing which school to ultimately attend. When requested, we will assist with curriculum planning for the first year at the new school.
Dunbar Boarding/Secondary School Acceptances
Avon Old Farms
Cambridge School of Weston
Choate Rosemary Hall
Deck House School
Noble and Greenough
Northfield Mt. Hermon
St. Andrews (Del)
White Mountain School